Creating a News Article using our Web Services Custom Component
April 3, 2013 - Erica Capling
This is about creating a new Year Folder and a news article using our custom created component in Cascade. When you are creating news articles, please be sure to abide by copyright laws. Write your own articles. If you want to use other people's articles, please be sure you have written permission to do so.
- Navigate to your news folder (usually Base Folder/news). In the blue menu bar, select new, news, year folder. This will automatically create a year folder with all of the month folders contained inside. Then fill in the following information in the form fields:
- Display Name: Current Year (i.e.. 2011)
- Title (if applicable): Current Year (i.e.. 2011)
- Click on submit to create the year folder.
- After your year folder is created, navigate to the month you want to post a news story to. In the blue menu bar, select new, news, news story. Then fill in the following information in the form fields:
- Display Name: a short title of the Story
- Title: Specific News headline (i.e. Local Students have Growers Market at Duck Pond).
- Teaser (if applicable): The first sentence of your article.
- Author (optional): Enter your name.
- Date: Use the date picker to choose the date of the story.
NOTE: This is VERY important. If you choose the wrong date or the wrong date format (mm-dd-yyyy), the archives will break in your news system. Please be sure you choose a date that corresponds with the month you choose.
- Information: This is where you add your article. You can add links, photos, etc. just like any other page.
- Click on submit to create the article. It will go through the usual spelling, accessibility and link checks.
Please be sure you follow the above instructions. Failure to do so will result in your news component breaking. It will break your archives, along with your news summaries. If you have a broken news component, stop by the lab and we will help you fix it.